Thursday, September 11, 2008

Apple Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger Software Review

3 Different Review


Review 1

As far as raw power and professional features go, this is the new gold standard of computing. As a user in the legal profession, I've searched forever for the best way to organize the tens of thousands of Microsoft Word documents on my computer. Spotlight, Apple's new global search feature, has completely solved that problem. I've set up smart folders based on all sorts of criteria and the system automatically updates to find anything.

The same praise should be extended to Automator. Every day, I think of more and more repetitive tasks that can be turned over to the Mac. It's one of those features that you easily could forget you had. But if you think creatively about how it could help your work, you won't know how you lived without it.

The 64-bit architecture makes this an essential upgrade for G5 users.

I have two complaints:

1. Dashboard, though more useful than Sherlock, doesn't seem particularly compelling to me. Others may find it useful, but it doesn't fit into my workflow. That's not a big deal, of course, since there are plenty of other features that do catch my interest.

2. A more significant concern, from my perspective, is that the user interface continues to become less consistent. Safari/iTunes/Finder look one way; Mail looks another; most of the rest of the applications look yet another way. Why Apple's interface designers can't pick up on the consistency of Apple's hardware is beyond me. Still, it's much better than Windows even in this respect (and vastly better in terms the power of its features), so there's really no competition at present.

With those qualifiers, I think this is an outstanding system that is helping me to work more efficiently. Highly recommended.


Review 2

Apple's latest is definately worth the money. Spotlight will, without a doubt, change the way you work, from finding documents, to opening programs, it makes everything truly easier and faster. Dashboard is a great plus. Though nothing necessarily groundbreaking, it is nice to have all that info without having to move in a web browser. The best improvements are going to be the ones that you don't see with improved security, stability, and speed. My only (extremely minor) complaint is Mail's graphical update. While I don't mind it by itself, it does not fit in with the rest of Apple's programs visually. If they all were changed it would be one thing, but Mail now is the 'odd man out' visually.


Review 3

I backed up my Mac laptop and performed an upgrade over my existing install. Spotlight did its thing to index the drive. I've noticed snappier response from my 1.25Ghz G4 PowerBook (15" and lovin' it). Permission checking which was a bit of a dog on Panther, is noticeably faster in Tiger. I've experienced an overall better feel than Panther on my well-worn hard drive.

Spotlight is incredibly fast and with the help of smart folders will make data easier to find.

The new widgets are nice, but having used Konfabulator they are little more than eye candy to me. Yet, some users will find them extremely useful and are there if you like them.

I've only begun to "scratch" the surface of Tiger, but given time, I intend to take a very close look at Automator. This is the one feature that really caught my interest. Scripting for the masses, IOW. How many times I have wanted to have an relatively simple way to do a series of tasks, without learning a script language, but couldn't. Apple heard my cries of anguish and I will accept the challenge.

In Safari, top-notch RSS handling and faster performance for browsing the web. Not to mention a new 'private browsing' feature. This isn't anything like Anonymizer disguising your IP, it's an as you browse "cover your tracks" of normally stored browser data.

A few programs didn't play well with Tiger, but that's normal. Check the web site of the program for Tiger-ized updates, if an update is necessary. Be extra careful about using utility programs made for Panther in Tiger, such as backup and hard disk utilities. Tiger is different under the hood and older programs won't back up all of your data properly.

There are other things I don't have the time or space to touch on. Suffice to say I'm pleased with Tiger thus far and glad I made the upgrade.

No comments: